Saturday, July 10, 2004

Gomez

There is always the hope when you go to a gig that the band will play your favourite song, the song that isn`t a single, the song buried in their first album.

Gomez didn`t play 'Tijuana Lady' last night, but that is small cause to complain over what was a fantastic performance. I saw Gomez once before, 4 years ago in Auckland, and their live show, while brilliant then, has improved markedly since.

There was a level of maturity not evident before, and they had the confidence to open with a track off each of their first three albums ('Bring It On', 'Love Is Better Than A Warm Trombone' & 'Shot Shot') before launching into the single 'Catch Me Up' off Split the Difference. They also played album tracks I certainly didn`t expect them to, such as 'Here Comes The Breeze' (particularly loved this), 'Free To Run', 'Fill My Cup' and the wonderful 'Bring Your Lovin Back Here' off of Abandoned Shopping Trolley Hotline.

Gomez's summery amalgam of blues, pop, country, three-part harmonies and psychedelia was transformed when the band rocked out into a dense, quite trippy sound, which reminded me of My Bloody Valentine of all things. The crowd also got into a reall groove, clapping and bopping along, and a good time was had by all.

My ears are still dulled, but my mind is still buzzing. Fantastic gig.